Links to Pictures on this Site
Pictures do take a while to download so please be patient when you click on a link. Some links are to one picture only, so take you immediately to the full size picture. Some are to a collection of pictures, so the link takes you to small images of each picture first (thumbnails). Each thumbnail is a link to the large picture. All the larger pictures are compressed from the originals for faster downloading.
Ashby de la Zouch (Leicestershire) - Castle (thumbnails)
Home of William Lord Hastings. To the existing manor house he added a chapel and two towers. One contained the kitchen and the other the living quarters. The Hastings' coat of arms appears in several places on the outside wall of this tower. His family continued to live here after his execution and he is buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor, next to Edward IV.
Ashby St Ledgers (Northamptonshire) - Brass to William Catesby in the church.
Richard III's hard-working councillor William Catesby is buried in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Leodegarius under a wonderful brass. There are also brasses to his father, son and grandson. The Catesby family lived in the manor house next to the church. William was captured after the battle of Bosworth and beheaded in Leicester three days later. His lands were confiscated but restored to his son George in 1496.
Astley (Warwickshire) - Astley Castle in 2004 and Astley Castle in 2012.
Astley Castle was built about 1266 near Nuneaton. Once a fortified manor house and still surrounded by a moat, Astley Castle was built during the reign of Edward I but dismantled upon the Duke of Suffolk's attainder. It was home to Elizabeth Woodville and Lady Jane Grey, who was beheaded after being Queen for only nine days. The Landmark Trust has done a fabulous job of building a holiday home inside the castle.
St Mary's Church Astley contains the tomb and effigy (on the far left) of Cecily Bonneville, second wife of Sir Thomas Grey, first Marquis of Dorset, son of Elizabeth Woodville before her marriage to Edward IV. There are also the effigies of Sir Edward Grey and Elizabeth Talbot, wife of his son.
Atherstone (Warwickshire) - Merevale Church, Abbey, and Michael K. Jones' new site for the battle of Bosworth. (thumbnails)
Baddesley Clinton (Warwickshire)
The owner, John Brome, was murdered by the Earl of Warwick's steward in 1468. Brome's son murdered the steward a few years later. Two members of the Ferrers family, who owned Baddesley Clinton from 1517, died fighting for Richard III at Bosworth. The view inside the courtyard.
Banquet - Twentieth anniversary banquet of the Worcestershire Branch of the Richard III Society: one of the tables, Ralph and his first retirement present , the banquet (a montage of photos). A photograph of the room
Banquet 2011 - Twenty-fifth anniversary banquet of the Worcestershire Branch of the Richard III Society. Another montage of the banquet, A photograph of the room, Belbroughton Church Hall.
Barnard Castle (Durham) - Barnard Castle (thumbnails)
Castle granted to Richard in 1475 as part of the Neville inheritance.
Holy Trinity Church. There's a white rose and a sun in splendour, the badge of Edward IV, in the remnants of medieval glass. I think they are probably there for the Virgin Mary rather than as Yorkist symbols.
St Leonard's Church houses the tomb of William Sheldon who fought for Richard at Bosworth. He survived, had his estates confiscated by Henry VII, but managed to get back into favour before he died. In the top of the north aisle window are two roundels of fifteenth century glass which show a York rose on a gold background and a sun in splendour. One of William Sheldon's descendants commissioned a portrait of Richard III which used to be in the Berger Collection in Denver Museum, America. A detailed article about the portrait appeared in the July 2002 issue of Dickon Independent, and also in the Spring 2002 issue of the Ricardian Register. It is now in the collection of Sir Tim Rice and was shown recently at Christie's in an exhibition entitled The Jubilee Line.
Edward IV's 1472 Charter for the town is housed in the Town Clerk's Office. This was awarded because the Bewdley archers had fought for Richard Duke of Gloucester at Tewkesbury in 1471. Click here to see a picture of it. Richard also gave 20 marks towards the building of Bewdley Bridge in 1483. Both Edward IV then Richard III owned Tickenhill Palace (now Manor) as part of their Mortimer inheritance. St Leonard's Church, Ribbesford, Bewdley, shows the arms of Edward IV in stained glass, with a white boar below. (See Ribbesford below.)
Blore Heath (Staffordshire) - Battle re-enactment from 2008 (thumbnails) and battle re-enactment from 2005, site and Mucklestone Church. (thumbnails)
Site of a Yorkist victory in a battle of the Wars of the Roses in 1459.
Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre (Leicestershire) - Museum display and the battlefield area (thumbnails)
Paynes Place, a fine late fifteenth century timber-framed building, was a possible refuge of Queen Margaret of Anjou after the battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. Anne Neville, then widow of the Lancastrian Prince of Wales, would have been with her.
The Church of St Peter in Bushley was rebuilt in 1843 and contains the brass figures of Thomas Payne and his wife Ursula, fixed to the wall near the 12th century font. Thomas, a wool-stapler and supporter of the Earl of Warwick, built Paynes Place. In 1477 he obtained permission for the people of the village to bury their dead in the churchyard, instead of having to take corpses to Tewkesbury. He died in 1500 and was buried in the churchyard. Close-up of Ursula.
One of the houses in the village displays wooden carvings associated with the Earl of Warwick, which came originally from Paynes Place. The bear and ragged staff, and ox or dun cow, both complete with cobwebs!
Cardiff (Wales) - Cardiff Castle, Cowbridge Castle and St John the Baptist Church Cardiff. (thumbnails)
The Octagon Tower and Hall Block of Cardiff Castle were built by Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, Richard III's grandfather. Inside where you can't take photos is a Victorian stained glass window of Richard and Anne, together with a portrait of Richard III.
A section of the south choir arcade is all that remains of the original stone building of St John the Baptist. It was sacked in 1404 during the rebellion of Owain Glyndwr, then it was reconstructed in the second half of the same century creating the fine perpendicular nave and tower which are such prominent features of the city today. It's likely that Anne Neville helped fund the rebuilding of the tower.
Richard III appointed a chaplain to Holy Cross Church Cowbridge.
Carlisle (Cumbria) - Carlisle Castle (thumbnails)
Owned by Richard as Earl of Carlisle and a military post used to organise the north and Scottish border.
Carreg Cennen Castle (Wales) - Carreg Cennen Castle
The castle was slighted by the Yorkists in 1462. The castle existed in the thirteenth century and was owned by the Welsh, but nothing remains of this building and it was rebuilt by one of Edward I’s barons, who was given the castle in 1283. It sits on top of a limestone crag and dominates the surrounding area. After being dismantled in 1462 by 500 men with picks and crowbars, ownership was given to Sir Rhys ap Thomas, whose family held it till the end of the sixteenth century. The Vaughans took over, and gave it to Baron Cawdor in the nineteenth century. A massive programme of rebuilding ensured the survival of the castle.
Castle Rising Castle (Norfolk)
Edward and Richard stayed here on 24 June 1469 on their way from Walsingham to Fotheringhay, and Richard wrote his earliest surviving letter from the castle asking for a loan. The Norfolk Branch of the Richard III Society presented a copy of the National Portrait Gallery portrait of Richard III to English Heritage in 1998. Hopefully it will soon be back on display inside the castle keep. (After July 2013)
Chaddesley Corbett (Worcestershire)
St Cassian's Church. The manor of Chaddesley Corbett was owned by Richard, Earl of Warwick. The dedication is very unusual. There are three possible candidates: the Christian schoolmaster killed by his pupils during the Roman persecutions; the abbot of St Victor, Marseilles; or the Greek saint. There's no connection with Richard III other than the fact that the church existed in his time.
College of Arms (London)
Richard III founded the College of Arms in 1484. Here's the Letter Patent in modern English.
Croft Castle (Herefordshire) - Sir Richard Croft's tomb at Croft Castle. (thumbnails)
Sir Richard was a staunch Yorkist. Croft Castle is owned by the National Trust. As well as the castle and church there are extensive grounds.
Croyland Abbey (Lincolnshire)
Croyland or Crowland as it is known today. The Croyland Chronicle and its continuations go up to 1486 so are of immense interest to Ricardians. Richard spent the night of 26 or 27 June 1469 here with his brother Edward before moving onto Fotheringhay Castle, embarking from the triangular bridge which once spanned the River Welland. As king he annulled a bill from the previous parliament and allowed the inhabitants of Croyland to continue rearing swans.
Elmley Castle (Worcestershire)
Owned by George, Duke of Clarence. (No picture).
Exeter Cathedral (Devon)
This is part of a very long cushion in Exeter Cathedral. The start date for a history of Devon, Exeter and England is 1478 with the appointment of Bishop Peter Courtenay. The third roundel commemorates the disappearance of the Princes in the Tower. The fourth refers to Bishop Courtenay joining a plot against Richard III - which failed - and the bishop fled to France (Brittany?) Then comes the beheading of Sir Thomas St Leger (the king’s brother-in-law) and Sir John Rame. Next Richard III visited Exeter and was royally entertained in the palace of the fugitive bishop! This was 8 - 14 November 1483.
Fotheringhay (Northamptonshire) - Church of St Mary and All Saints. (thumbnails)
Richard was born on October 2nd 1452 at Fotheringhay Castle, and probably lived there until he moved to Ludlow in 1459. His parents and brother Edmund are buried in the church. The Richard III Society holds a carol service in the church every December.
Gloucester (Gloucestershire) - Gloucester Cathdral and city. (thumbnails)
Richard III was Duke of Gloucester and his coat of arms is on St Michael's Tower in the city centre, to commemorate his granting a charter to the town on a visit in 1483. Gloucester kept out the Lancastrian army in 1471 so they were forced to march on to Tewkesbury where they were defeated by Edward IV's Yorkist army and Richard his brother. The charter is in the museum and you need to make an appointment to see it.
Goodrich (Herefordshire) - Goodrich Castle. (thumbnails)
Much of the building is still intact, apart from roofs and floors, and it's well worth a visit. It was a principal residence of the Talbot family during the Wars of the Roses. James, 11th Lord Berkeley, and his four sons, were imprisoned here by the Talbots, sometime in the 1440's. Eleanor Talbot married Edward IV.
The home of Sir Humphrey Stafford and his brother Thomas who also fought for Richard III at the battle of Bosworth and survived to cause further trouble for Henry VII later on. (No picture).
Great Witley (Worcestershire)
Woodbury Hill nearby is where the Duke of Buckingham's rebellion of 1483 ended as all his troops deserted him. (No picture).
Guy's Cliffe (Warwickshire) - Guy's Cliffe and St Mary Magdalen Chapel. (thumbnails)
Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, founded a chantry chapel here in 1423. He provided money to pay for two priests, to rebuild the chapel in about 1430, and to provide decent accommodation for the priests. The priests' job was to say a daily Mass for the souls of the Beauchamp family, including Richard Beauchamp after his death in 1439. John Rous became the chantry priest in 1445. Whilst there he produced his History of the Earls of Warwick, often called the Rous Roll, which contains drawings of Richard III, his Queen Anne Neville, their son Prince Edward, and glowing references to Richard and his reign. But when Henry VII came to the throne, Rous revised his Roll, removing the pictures of Richard and his family and the glowing description. He replaced it with the first defamatory description of Richard, and the legend of the evil Richard III was born. Fortunately for us one copy produced before 1485 survives, so we know the truth. Rous also produced a Life of Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, containing 55 drawings.
Haddon Hall (Derbyshire)
A beautiful medieval manor house, mostly built by the Vernons who owned it from 1180 to 1565. The tapestry in the banqueting hall showing the royal arms of England was made during the reign of Edward IV.
Hanley Castle (Worcestershire)
Richard's father-in-law, Richard Neville, the Earl of Warwick, better known as the Kingmaker, owned Hanley Castle before his death in 1471. All that remains now of the castle are earthworks. In those days Hanley Castle had a busy quay on the River Severn. Richard married Warwick's daughter Anne Neville in 1472. Parts of St Mary's church are medieval.
Harlech Castle (Gwynedd)
The castle was recaptured from the Lancastrians by the Herbert brothers, William and Richard, in 1468. See also Raglan Castle.
Richard owned Harvington when he was Lord of the Manor whilst Duke of Gloucester. (No picture).
Hellens (Herefordshire) - Hellens, a medieval manor house, and the Church of St Bartholomew, Much Marcle. (thumbnails)
Hellens, a medieval manor house in Much Marcle, 3 miles from Ledbury.
Richard III was Lord of the Manor of Henley-in-Arden while King of England, and his name appears on the board in the Guildhall.
Hereford (Herefordshire) - Hereford Cathedral and some pictures of the old parts of town.
Edward IV founded the cloisters which are now used as living accommodation. The Stanbury Chantry Chapel dates from 1470.
Kenilworth Castle (Warwickshire)
Kenilworth Castle was Crown property in the fifteenth century and both Edward IV and Richard III spent money on its maintenance. Richard stayed here in 1483 and reputedly gave a stone archway from the castle to the owner of Maxstoke Castle.
Kilpeck Church (Herefordshire) - The arch over the south door of St Mary and St David, showing the magnificent carving.
Kilpeck is a prime example of the Herefordshire School of Sculpture. There are 85 corbels on the outside. The ruins of the castle are nearby.
Kington Church (Herefordshire) - Thomas Vaughan of Hergest Court and his wife. Their alabaster tomb is in the parish church of St Mary the Virgin. He was killed fighting for the Yorkists at the battle of Edgecot near Banbury in 1469. Hergest Court, which dates from 1266, is now a farmhouse and garden centre.
Kirby Muxloe (Leicestershire) - Castle (thumbnails)
Another home for William Lord Hastings which was not completed due to his execution in 1483. Work started in 1480 and used local brick with stone for windows and doors. It is surrounded by a moat.
Leicester - Greyfriars Dig and Richard III in Leicester (thumbnails)
Leominster (Herefordshire) - Leominster Medieval Fair and re-enactment of the battle of Mortimer's Cross, held on June 5th and 6th 2004 (thumbnails).
Leominster Medieval Fair and re-enactment of the battle of Mortimer's Cross, held on June 7th and 8th 2003 (thumbnails).
Annual scarecrow festival Saturday September 7 2013 in Lubenham. The first picture shows the 'scarecrow' remains of Richard III, the next one is the 'newspaper' headline and the last one is the king himself with a little sign reading 'London or York?'
Losecoat Field (Rutland) - The Battle of Losecoat Field
The plaque describing the battle which can be found on the opposite side of the A1 to the wood called Bloody Oaks, on the lane heading for Pickworth.
Ludlow Castle and St Laurence's Church (Shropshire)
In 1459 Richard spent several months at the castle while his father the Duke of York made it his headquarters. In October he was captured, together with his mother, brother George and sister Margaret, when the Lancastrians sacked the castle and town. The Yorkist leaders all escaped.
When Edward IV, the Duke of York's eldest son, became king in 1461, Ludlow Castle became crown property. Edward sent his son there in 1473 as head of the Council of the Welsh Marches. The Prince of Wales lived there until he became Edward V in 1483. More images of the castle and church (thumbnails).
Great Malvern Priory has a beautiful west window given by Richard and his wife Anne, when he was Duke of Gloucester and Lord of Malvern Chase. It is filled with full length figures of saints.
The Duke and Duchess' coats of arms probably occupied the two irregularly shaped openings at the tops of the main side divisions of the west window, but are now elsewhere. High up in the clerestory glass on the south side of the quire you can see Richard's arms with boar supporters - remember to bring binoculars! A fragment of the arms of Anne Neville, Duchess of Gloucester, with the remains of two white bear supporters to the shield is in the window to the right of the Henry VII window, along with many other fragments of medieval glass.
In the tracery lights can be seen the shield of Edward V when he was Earl of March.
You can read a bit about the priory in an article in one of our branch magazines.
Little Malvern Priory contains a portrait gallery of Edward IV's family in the east window. Bishop Alcock, who was tutor to Edward Prince of Wales, (Edward V), restored the church between 1480 and 1482, and installed this window.
The figures represent from left to right - Richard, Duke of York (missing); Edward, Prince of Wales (Edward V); King Edward IV (missing); Queen Elizabeth Woodville (now headless); Princess Elizabeth of York and her sisters, the Princesses Cecily, Anne and Katherine; Bishop John Alcock, tutor to the Prince of Wales.
In the tracery lights is some heraldic stained glass: - The remains of shield of Bishop John Alcock, who installed the glass. The arms of Edward, Prince of Wales (Edward V). The royal arms of Edward IV his father.
There used to be various other coats of arms of interest in the windows of the church. It's possible that Queen Margaret of Anjou sought refuge here after the battle of Tewkesbury in 1471. Anne Neville, then widow of the Lancastrian Prince of Wales, would have been with her, as would the Countess of Devon and Lady Katherine Vaux.
St Peter's Church houses the tomb of Sir Hugh Mortimer, a Yorkist, who died early in 1460. You can read all about Sir Hugh and the church in a book on the history of the church: St Peter's Church Martley A History by Jeremy Campbell Grant. The advowson of the church was owned by the Abbot of St Mary and All Saints Fotheringhay between 1415 and 1554.
Middleham (North Yorkshire) - Castle and Church (thumbnails)
Richard's home for many years.
Minster Lovell (Oxfordshire) - Minster Lovell church and ruins of the hall.
St Kenelm's Church was given to Eton College by Henry VI and still belongs to the college. The tomb in the church is believed to be William Lovell, Francis' grandfather, who built the hall. Francis Lovell was one of Richard III's best friends and member of his council. Richard visited Minster Lovell Hall when king. Francis survived Bosworth and fought Henry VII at Stoke but disappeared afterwards.
Morley Church (Derbyshire)
The Church of St Matthew has an excellent display of medieval glass, including a lot transferred from Dale Abbey at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Among the many medieval monuments is a brass to John Sacheverell, who died at Bosworth Field.
There are also brasses to Henry Stathum, Lord of the Manor of Morley and father to John's wife Joan,and to Thomas Stathum, the previous Lord of the Manor.
Mortimer's Cross (Herefordshire) - Battle site, church, monument and pub (thumbnails).
A collection of photographs featuring the battle site of 2nd February 1461, the church at Aymestrey, the monument to the battle and the pub called the Mortimer's Cross Inn.
Battle re-enactment 2004. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2003. (thumbnails)
Much Wenlock (Shropshire) - Wenlock Priory and the Guildhall, and thumbnails of the Priory and Guildhall.
Edward IV granted a charter to Much Wenlock in 1468, and this is on display in the Guildhall. It was also signed by Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
Norbury Church (Derbyshire)
The Church of St Mary and St Barlok houses the tomb of Ralph Fitzherbert, twelfth Lord of the Manor, and his wife Elizabeth Marshall. He is wearing a Yorkist collar of suns and roses with a boar pendant for King Richard III. He built the north aisle of the church. His father Nicholas built the south tower, nave and chapel east of the tower. His collar of suns and roses has a lion pendant for King Edward IV. Details of both tombs.
North Nibley (Gloucestershire) - Site of battle of Nibley Green, and church.
One of the lesser battles of the Wars of the Roses, the battle of Nibley Green, was fought near here on 20th March 1470. It was a private war between the Talbots and the Berkeleys over the Berkeley inheritance. William Lord Berkeley built the south aisle of St Martin's Church at North Nibley as thanks for his victory.
The stone lectern from St Egwin's church. It is carved from Purbeck marble. It was found near the site of Evesham Abbey and is thought to have been made in the twelfth century.
Oakham Castle (all that remains is this great hall) and some of the horseshoes displayed inside. The most remarkable is that of Edward IV. This is the oldest of the horseshoes. In 1470 Edward IV fought the Battle of Losecoat Field. Putting a horseshoe into Oakham Castle was a reminder of the King’s authority in the Earl of Warwick’s lands. Every peer of the realm gives a horseshoe to the Lord of the Manor of Oakham when they first visit the town.
Richard's father, the Duke of York, gave a window to St James' Church when he laid claim to the throne in 1460. Oddingley was owned by him. This window shows the royal arms of England impaling (next to) those of Neville, for his wife, Cecily Neville. The royal arms are shown without a difference to those of the king, so the window must have been installed between October and December 1460, when the Duke laid claim to the throne. There is also a white rose on the fifteenth century font, and a Yorkist fetterlock. (No picture).
Oxburgh Hall (Norfolk) - Photographs of Oxburgh Hall. (thumbnails)
Now owned by the National Trust, Oxburgh Hall was built by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld in 1482. He received his retrospective royal planning permission from Edward IV on 3 July 1482. A committed Yorkist, but he didn't go to Bosworth, choosing to make his peace with Henry VII.
Penrith (Cumbria) - Penrith Castle and town (thumbnails)
Little remains now of the building work Richard had done at the castle.
St Peter's Church Pirton. Board showing all the rectors including the reigns of Edward IV, Edward V and Richard III.
Queenhill (Worcestershire) - Photographs of Ripple and Queenhill Churches.
Raglan Castle (Gwent)
The castle was home to Sir William Herbert, Edward IV's Chief Justice and Chamberlain of Wales. He had custody of Henry Tudor and was executed by the Earl of Warwick in 1469.
His son, also William Herbert, married Richard III's illegitimate daughter Kathryn in 1484.
In the window at the west end of the south aisle in St Leonard's Church are the Arms of England quartered with those of France and supported by two falcons. These are the Royal Arms of Edward IV who granted borough status to Bewdley in 1472. Below can be seen a boar, the badge of Edward's brother Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
Richard III - The Portrait of Richard III which used to be in the Berger Collection in the Denver Art Museum in America. It is now owned by Sir Tim Rice and was shown recently at Christie's in an exhibition called The Jubilee Line.
The reverse of the third Great Seal dating from about 1472. Used by Richard III and Edward IV.
Richmond (North Yorkshire) - Richmond Castle (thumbnails)
The Honour and Castle of Richmond was held by George Duke of Clarence until his death, then granted to Richard Duke of Gloucester.
Ripple (Worcestershire) - Photographs of Queenhill and Ripple Churches.
Rous Lench (Worcestershire)
Carving of Christ above south door of Rous Lench Church.
Rous Roll John Rous working on the roll. Queen Anne, Richard III and Edward Prince of Wales from the Rous Roll. Queen Anne from the Rous Roll.
Sheriff Hutton (Yorkshire)
The Church of St Helen and the Holy Cross contains the cenotaph of Edward of Middleham, Richard III's only son. His body may be at Coverham Abbey though the site of the grave is unknown. The monument has recently been restored. Edward was 11 years old when he died at Middleham Castle on 9th April 1484. His parents were at Nottingham Castle when they heard the news of his death.
The ruins of the castle, once the headquarters of the Council of the North, stand on private land.
Staindrop Church of St Mary (Durham)
St Mary's Church houses the tomb of Richard III's maternal grandparents, Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmorland, with his wives, Margaret Stafford, daughter of Hugh, Earl of Stafford, and Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt and half sister to Henry IV. Joan Beaufort was the mother of Cecily Neville, Richard's mother.
Stamps - Royal Mail Stamps Heraldry, Bosworth Anniversary First Day Cover and stamp commemorating William Caxton
St Mary's Church houses an alabaster monument to Sir Humphrey Salway and his wife Joyce. He was marshal of the court to Henry VI and later associated with George Duke of Clarence, brother of Richard III and Edward IV. (No picture).
Stokesay Castle (Shropshire)
Sir Richard Ludlow of Stokesay and Hodnet was a Knight of the Bath in 1475 and active in parliament, as a sheriff, and as a JP during the Wars of the Roses. Stokesay Castle showing the gatehouse at the front and the hall from the back.
Tewkesbury (Gloucestershire)The abbey houses the remains of Richard's brother George Duke of Clarence, and his wife Isabel Neville. The bones are being re-examined. Sometimes the crypt is open to the public but you can't take photos.
A plaque marks the entrance to the vault, but shows the wrong dates of death. The arms of Isabel Neville with a white rose in the centre and George Duke of Clarence appear at the ends of the plaque.
There is also a plaque to Edward of Lancaster, Anne Neville's first husband, in the choir.
The back of the sacristy door is covered with armour found on the battlefield, though there are now doubts about this.
Yorkist suns in splendour decorate the ceiling to celebrate the victory against the Lancastrians.
Also in the abbey but not on display are a sword hilt and gunstone from the battle, and some medieval daggers.
The abbey also owns an indenture from King Henry VII to say masses for members of his family killed at the battle, and a land claim dating from the time of Richard III.
The battle of Tewkesbury was fought on May 4th 1471 and the Yorkists were the winners. A major re-enactment and medieval fair is held every year in July. This plaque is on land behind the abbey.
Dates for 2014 (not officially confirmed yet) are Saturday and Sunday 12 and 13 July.
Branch display only Saturday 13 July 2013 at medieval fayre. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2012 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday July 14. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2011 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday July 9. (thumbnails)
Branch display only Saturday 10 July 2010 at medieval fayre. (thumbnails)
One photo only from 11 July 2009, showing the King and the Duke of Gloucester.
Battle re-enactment 2008 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday 12 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2007 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday and Sunday, 7 and 8 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2006 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday 8 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2005 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday and Sunday, 9 and 10 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2004 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday 10 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2003 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday and Sunday, 12 and 13 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2002 and branch display at medieval fayre on Saturday and Sunday, 13 and 14 July. (thumbnails)
Battle re-enactment 2001 on Saturday 14 July. (thumbnails)
Tewkesbury Abbey was saved from destruction by Henry VIII's men as it was bought by the townspeople.
Two of the standards which can be seen hanging from shops and houses in Tewkesbury when the re-enactment is on: the white boar of Richard III and the Yorkist Rose en Soleil.
The Museum in Barton Street contains a display on the battle, including a diorama made by Geoffrey Wheeler of the Richard III Society, and information panels about the battle and the heraldry of those involved.
Prints of Karen Sarkar's painting 'Melee: Tewkesbury, 4 May 1471' cost £35 each and £5 per print will be donated to the Tewkesbury Medieval Festival. It can be seen in Tewkesbury Museum, telephone 01684 292901, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ye Olde Black Bear pub existed when the battle was fought, and has Warwick's emblem of the bear and ragged staff on its wall.
Upton Cressett Hall (Shropshire)
Edward V stayed at Upton Cressett Hall on his way to London from Ludlow after the death of his father Edward IV, according to family documents. Robert Cressett was a Yorkist, frequently mentioned in commissions of array. He was pardoned for supporting the losing Yorkists at Ludford and became sheriff of Shropshire in 1468 for Edward IV and again in 1484 - 5 for Richard III. He was replaced by Sir Gilbert Talbot after the battle of Bosworth.
A view of the hall which is medieval and the gatehouse, built in 1580. The gatehouse is available as holiday accommodation.
Upton Snodsbury (Worcestershire)
According to the Victoria County History, Upton belonged to Viscount Francis Lovell when he was attainted in 1485, then was granted to Sir John Mortimer by Henry VII. Sir John had been an esquire of the body to Richard III. He was the son of Sir Hugh Mortimer of Martley. (No picture).
St Nicholas' Church Warndon was first mentioned in 1092. The Lord of the Manor rebuilt the Saxon church in Norman style in 1184. More rebuilding occurred in the early fifteenth century. Some of the Malvern tiles survive, as does a bit of the wall painting. The font dates from 1485. It has an unusual heptagonal shape. The wooden lid is seventeenth century. The black and white tower may have been built in 1542.
The group of buildings which comprises the Lord Leycester Hospital were built around the Chantry Chapel of St James over the West Gate into Warwick, to house the religious guilds. When Henry VIII dispersed the guilds in 1546, the property was saved from seizure by being transferred to the Burgesses of Warwick. Robert Dudley, Earl of Leycester, acquired the buildings in 1571 and founded a hospital for disabled soldiers and their wives, with a charter from Queen Elizabeth. The Master runs the hospital and his house is on the north side of the courtyard.
The Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary's Church houses the tomb of Richard Beauchamp, 5th Earl of Warwick and Anne Neville's grandfather. He was born in Salwarpe in Worcestershire and married his second wife in Worcestershire, at Hanley Castle. The weepers on his tomb include his famous son-in-law, the Kingmaker. One foot rests on a bear (his emblem) and the other on a griffin, for his second wife, Isabel Despenser.
This figure of Richard III stands in Warwick Castle now (2013).
Wickhamford (Worcestershire) - Church of St John the Baptist.
Wigmore Castle (Herefordshire) - Photographs of the castle. (thumbnails)
Owned by English Heritage. Entry is free to explore the ruins.
Plaque marking site of Wisbech Castle in Museum Square. Edward IV visited in 1469 and Sir Thomas Grey was constable in 1476. A Regency villa now occupies the site. John Morton demolished the Norman castle and built his bishop’s palace in 1478. His successor, Bishop Alcock, extended and completed the re-building and died in the castle in 1500.
Richard III visited the city on Tuesday August 5th 1483 during his Coronation Tour. On Friday 25th July 1483 Richard was at Magdalen College Oxford on his tour and heard a disputation in divinity by William Grocyn and John Taylor. Grocyn lecturing in Greek at Oxford features in the Victorian glass (see below).
His brother Edward IV went to Worcester after the battle of Tewkesbury in 1471, on his way to Coventry.
In the cloisters opposite the gift shop is some Victorian stained glass depicting the period 1387 - 1485. It includes a figure of Edward IV, and Queen Margaret (Henry VI's Queen) crossing the Lower Lode after the battle of Tewkesbury to seek refuge. Anne Neville, then the widow of Margaret's son Edward Prince of Wales, was with her.
Also represented in this window are William Caxton and Judge Littleton. Inside the cathedral is a plaque and portrait commemorating this local judge, who died in 1481. He has been called the father of our English law and probably Richard was familiar with his work.
Near Prince Arthur's Chantry is a triptych made in Edward IV's time. Description of triptych.
Inside the cathedral, Prince Arthur's chantry has some beautiful Yorkist emblems, including a rose en soleil carved around it. His mother was Elizabeth of York, Richard's niece.
Prince Arthur's Exhibition and Chantry Chapel Worcester Cathedral, 2002. (thumbnails)
The re-enactment of Prince Arthur's Funeral on its 500th anniversary. (thumbnails)
This collection of photographs of inside and outside the cathedral includes the former refectory, and more of the chantry and Victorian glass.
York Minster would have been very familiar to Richard III. His son was invested as Prince of Wales in the Archbishop's Palace in 1483.
The Society of Friends of King Richard III gave a window of stained glass to the Minster in 1997. It's in the south aisle.
Youlgreave Church (Derbyshire)
All Saints' Church is the resting place of Thomas Cokayne, who is wearing a Yorkist collar of suns and roses. He was one of Lord Hastings' men. He died in a fight in 1488 with Thomas Burdett at Pooley Park in Warwickshire. They were both going to Polesworth Church and quarrelled over a family marriage settlement. As he predeceased his father his effigy is small, though he was a married man with a family.
Back to the top
Page last updated on October 14 2013